C started med school on Monday: it was his orientation week. The first day was mostly logistical (student I.D., insurance talks, OSHEA and HIPAA speeches, etc.). The second day was more inspirational for him as they were treated to talks on ethics and what it means to be an Emory-educated physician. The week progressed thus, with lectures and speeches and meetings. He came home and recounted his experiences to me and his excitement and confidence grew.
I guess I am more excited for him to begin this chapter than nervous. I guess I'm not the one doing the school work, so it doesn't affect me as much. In a way I am a little jealous that he is jumping into a new social scene and experiencing this part of his life without me. I can't talk to him about what we learned in class, or comment on our new found friends, or even commiserate with him on his workload. He said that he likes having me home to talk to when he comes home and having an escape from medical school--but maybe he will feel differently as it gets harder.
I have no friends in Atlanta, and my best friends are at least a 1,000 miles away. And now, my "bestest" friend is not only busy, but making new friends without me in medical school; intelligent, attractive, interesting friends with whom I have little or nothing in common with.
I know its not his fault, but the loneliness is already starting to sink in.
Please God, let all this sacrifice be worth it....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Thats how I feel this summer but at least my situation is only for a couple more months. We've been living in So California for the summer for a summer job of Chad's and I thought it would be the best summer ever. Instead, Chad works all the time and I don't really know anyone. Sometimes I hang out with one of the other wives down here but we don't have tons in common. I'm grateful he is working hard for us but sometimes I forget that. Good luck and know that it will be worth it! Also, be grateful for blogs with help people keep in touch and to feel there are others around!
I hope there are other med school wives that you will be able to start getting to know soon. It would be great if you could be a support system for one another. There isn't anyone fun in your ward? Sometimes I hate making new friends, even though I'm social it still takes a while to develop a deeper and more meaningful friendship. Good luck girl.
I'm sure it'll all be worth it! and don't worry girl, you will always be his best friend! Keep your chin up!
And you're still working right? Are you making friends there?
I'm only a phone call away too you know! :)
Post a Comment